Audio on Soundcloud!

Audio on Soundcloud.

Now my recordings will be uploaded to the parish Soundcloud account. Here is the address: https://soundcloud.com/stthereselittleflowersb


Also, see what else is happening at our parish: https://littleflowerchurch.org/

Finally, look to the right for links to Audio from other good resources!

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Homily (notes) - 3rd Sunday of O.T.

 

TWO OF OUR CORE VALUES - Joyful Receptivity: God’s dreams are bigger than my own dreams.

Sacrificial generosity: Letting God interrupt my plans.

Two movie scenes where someone is hanging off a ledge being held by another: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE – LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING.

In both scenes, a person has to let go of something in order to be saved.

This is Jesus’ command for repentance. In order for us to be saved, we must let God change our plans and realize that we are not meant to be in control of our life.

JONAH, after resisting the hard call to go and help his enemies and then seeing how futile it was to resist God, had to let his plans change. He had to give over control.

SIMON (PETER) & ANDREW, JAMES & JOHN had to let their plans change. They had to let go.

IF OUR HANDS ARE FULL, WE MUST EMPTY THEM. If our hearts are attached to a dream, a plan, a goal, we must constantly put that goal into God’s hands. Surrendering is so difficult.

“give me the remote.” “give me the phone.” “Get off the computer.”

But surrendering is so rewarding. You don’t have to be in charge! You get to receive instead of feeling like life is only your own creation.

And God might drop a present into your hands. He might give you exactly what you gave Him. He might not.

Prayer of Thomas Merton – My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going….

Prayer of Abandonment, Charles de Foucauld – emphasizes our identity as adopted sons and daughters.

Father, 
I abandon myself into your hands; 
do with me what you will. 
Whatever you may do, I thank you: 
I am ready for all, I accept all.

Let only your will be done in me, 
and in all your creatures -
I wish no more than this, O Lord.

Into your hands I commend my soul: 
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, 
for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself, 
to surrender myself into your hands without reserve, 
and with boundless confidence, 
for you are my Father.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment